Wednesday 14 April 2010

TO THE WINCHESTER!!!


LOST SEASON 6. MUST FIND IT TONIGHT. DO NOT DISTURB LATER, unless you're Jordan, in which case you should PLEASE disturb.

So nice over here! Weather's been rockin', sun's been out, I'm almost completely sorted in this mug!

Let's see, weekend was just filled with the insides of various pubs and taverns including this one:

The Eclipse Inn. Known to be one of the last places in England that allowed public hangings! Ghost story alert: some chick was supposedly innocent, got hanged, screamed something in latin and walks the upper balcony sometimes after closing. The managers tell me they saw an entire plate of food get slammed against the wall with no one touching it! Eerie!

So we left this quaint little pub and went to a MUCH louder place, The Pitcher and the Piano bar. There was no piano.
There were people like these... (Grace and Willa bein' cool)


And Steve Carell...

And a lot of other folks. Good weekend though. Clayton and I walked the streets of Winchester on Sunday and prepared for the week ahead.

So that brings us to this week! Morning ROUNDS! Got my pager all set up, haven't been paged yet, but I've SENT a page! Shadowed Dr. Roberts (the head respiratory guy) in his clinic all morning, and took ONE HECK OF A NAP afterwards. One guy just had OBVIOUS lung cancer that had metastasized to his back. The guy was SO miserable. It left a lasting impression on my heart. No, THAT cigarette might not give you cancer, but the 8004th one JUST MIGHT get your cells mad enough to proliferate like crazy. Poor guy.

So I remember widgets as those weird things M.C. Escher drew with three prongs on one end but it looked like two on the other... an impossible object... or the fabled things they talk about in Physics problems. "suppoooose a widget, mass 4kg, was propelled... yada yada"

But it's THIS over here:


Weird. Makes the locals think they're drinking draught beer maybe? Just weird to have a little ball floating around in your can.



TUESDAY, another HARD workout after a LONG day of doing rounds and trying to find where this and that ward were... I had to try my Spanish out with this patient, Alvarez, who was noticeably obtunded from some lung cancer that metastasized to his BRAIN. He'd give me the BIGGEST blank stares. Oh yeah he's a prisoner that got caught with $250,000 of COKE!! NO HANDCUFFS, NO SHACKLES. Yipesters!

Funny how all the old ladies are like "Hey Dr. Grove, you should really bring around the sexy young chaps" and I still blush. Let's see, Jordan girl or 75 year old lady that hacks up every color of the rainbow of sputum? A dingirl, of course.

Today I got to see a bronchoscopy and take a history from a man for like 30 minutes of how his lung problems started and he took me through it, month by month, from every episode of pneumonia, to pneumothorax, Hodgkin's lymphoma, vinblastine... which I seem to remember has pulmonary toxicity and it's used for testicular cancers... oh well, and he's getting his thoracoscopy on Friday morning. Dr. Jillian (a guy), and Dr. Saddiqui confirmed this. Jillian spoke French, so I got to try out my French... very surprised when he asked what part of France I'm from!! So I STILLL GOTT IT!!!

I'll leave this blog with a few pics from my walk home after working out! Until NEXT TIME!!





1 comment:

  1. The pictures are simply amazing. Sounds like you are staying pretty busy but having a good time doing it. That's good! And way to go on the French! How many languages do you speak now? Fun stuff, Jay! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete